Client Name: Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust
Client’s Business: Charing Cross is a general acute hospital that provides a full range of adult clinical specialties. It is also a key site for the teaching of medical students from Imperial College London.
Location: Charing Cross Hospital – Fulham, London
MPE Role: Principal Contractor
Brief Scope of Works:
This project was the first phase of an energy efficiency drive by the Trust to reduce its carbon footprint in line with government guidelines.
Voltage optimisation was been identified as an effective method of reducing energy by installing high efficiency transformers and regulating the transformer voltage taps.
Works comprised the supply, installation, testing and commissioning of materials and equipment to complete the project and its associated works, including:
- Supply, delivery, off-load and position of 4 No. High Efficiency Transformers
- Removal and safe disposal of redundant transformers
- Supply and installation of High and Low Voltage cables where specified
- Supply and installation of Transformer temperature monitoring cable
- Extend where necessary transformer temperature monitoring cable
- Planning and supervision of the works in accordance with CDM Regulations 2007
- Liaising with UKPN
- Supply and installation of new energy meters on HV breakers
- Re-positioning of Power Analyser in Substation SS6 Transformer T17
- Building and Civil works where appropriate
- Replacement of Protection CTs within HV switchgear
- Provision of Supervisory Relays within the LV panel for the Over-temperature Alarm and Trip Monitoring at the transformers
- Energy monitoring
- Testing and Commissioning
- Production and supply of Operations and Maintenance Manuals
- Production and supply of information for inclusion within the CDMC’s Safety File